Skip to main content

John Perry Barlow

I was very sorry to hear about the death of John Perry Barlow, one of the great influences on my life in technology.

 

 

One of my happiest memories of is having dinner with John and cypherpunk founder Eric Hughes, along Nicholas Negroponte, and having a discussion about the use of cryptography to deliver transparency (I was - and still am - sure that Eric’s “open book accounting” has a role to play in creating a new financial services infrastructure).

I remember being on a panel with John at a Vanguard executive summit thing in New York. It must have been mid-2000s, maybe 2005 or 2006. The topic of smart cards came up, and I told John that American banks were reluctant to start issuing them. He asked me why, so I told him it was because they were invented in France. He suggested that Gemplus rename them “Freedom Cards”, which still makes me chuckle thinking about it more than a decade later.

I probably only met him a dozen times, but he was unfailingly nice and I greatly enjoyed his company. Above all, he was interesting about cyberspace, virtual worlds and the future of society, things that need impassioned visionaries to be interesting about them, and I thank his memory for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

new survey results from USA Technologies (USAT) suggest. The payments technology company, which enables electronic payments for self-service machines, compared consumer spending activity at 35 of its vending machines in urban areas with a high concentration of iPhone users between week one and week four of the installation of new digital signage promoting Apple Pay. Consumers made more contactless purchases: The vending machine providers saw an average contactless transaction revenue increase of 89%, implying that consumers are making more mobile payments. This was likely driven by the clear advertisement of Apple Pay. Total transactions increased: Consumers made more purchases overall. This was probably driven by an uptick in mobile payments, given the major increase in contactless transaction revenue. And the vending machines may have attracted many first-time users who were drawn in by the digital advertising of Apple Pay. Boosting awareness is key to unlocking pent-up demand amon...

David | LinkedIn

Alex Todd rather kindly called this a “most lucid explanation of digital identity management” I would highly recommend this presentation to anyone interested in understanding prospective blockchain based identity architectures From David | LinkedIn This is very kind, but as I said in the link, this is thinking out loud and far from a fully-developed solution. We’re working on parts of this for different clients and I can see that there is something there - a genuinely new way of solving some old problems - but it’s early days.

Crystal clear: Creating hyper-transparent property markets - JLL Real Views

xxx The issue of transparency is going to play a major role in the allocation of an avalanche of global commercial investment into real estate over the next decade. With total sums at stake predicted to rise from US$700 billion to over $1 trillion a year by the mid 2020s, according to JLL, countries and cities which meet investor demands on transparency will be best placed to attract these capital flows. From Crystal clear: Creating hyper-transparent property markets - JLL Real Views xxx