Skip to main content

POST Chat is it

We said at the end of last year that conversational commerce would be one of the key themes for 2018 and as the year unfolds this prediction is looking spot on. Customers like messaging, and if we (ie, the payments industry) can add payments to that channel then it stands poised to gain a significant fraction of the what now seems almost quaintly called the electronic commerce sector.

It looks as if “chat” is a good place for companies to start. Here’s an example. Israel Discount Bank rolled out the Personetics engine through a virtual assistant service “Didi” and has had 200,000+ customers use it. The top three learnings so far make for interesting reading.

  1. Customers ask deeper questions of a virtual assistant than you’d think. ‘If a customer has a loan, he will go into specific questions about refinancing loans,’ Frishman said. ‘We covered loans [in Didi’s answer base], but we didn’t think they would go so deep.’ Discount is rolling out a new customer relationship management system, to which Didi is connected. So if Didi can’t answer a question, the customer will be forwarded to a human agent. The agent receives a record of the conversation with the bot. This lessens the chance that the customer will need to answer a question more than once. In a recent survey conducted by eGain, 59% of respondents (62% in the U.S. and 55% in the U.K.) found that having to repeat information and context to a human agent after handoffs from chatbots was the biggest hassle by far in using virtual assistants. This is a result of chatbot deployments that are disconnected from agent assistance.

  2. Customers prefer texting over any other mode of communication.

  3. Customers would rather ask for something than look for it. I can relate to this. If I can't see what I want on the bank landing page, I'll pick up the phone and go to the chatbot. Actually, last time I used this I got quite annoyed with it because it (I don't know whether it was a person or not) wanted me to confirm my identity when the question that I wanted to ask had absolutely nothing to do with who I am.

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

new survey results from USA Technologies (USAT) suggest. The payments technology company, which enables electronic payments for self-service machines, compared consumer spending activity at 35 of its vending machines in urban areas with a high concentration of iPhone users between week one and week four of the installation of new digital signage promoting Apple Pay. Consumers made more contactless purchases: The vending machine providers saw an average contactless transaction revenue increase of 89%, implying that consumers are making more mobile payments. This was likely driven by the clear advertisement of Apple Pay. Total transactions increased: Consumers made more purchases overall. This was probably driven by an uptick in mobile payments, given the major increase in contactless transaction revenue. And the vending machines may have attracted many first-time users who were drawn in by the digital advertising of Apple Pay. Boosting awareness is key to unlocking pent-up demand amon...

David | LinkedIn

Alex Todd rather kindly called this a “most lucid explanation of digital identity management” I would highly recommend this presentation to anyone interested in understanding prospective blockchain based identity architectures From David | LinkedIn This is very kind, but as I said in the link, this is thinking out loud and far from a fully-developed solution. We’re working on parts of this for different clients and I can see that there is something there - a genuinely new way of solving some old problems - but it’s early days.

Crystal clear: Creating hyper-transparent property markets - JLL Real Views

xxx The issue of transparency is going to play a major role in the allocation of an avalanche of global commercial investment into real estate over the next decade. With total sums at stake predicted to rise from US$700 billion to over $1 trillion a year by the mid 2020s, according to JLL, countries and cities which meet investor demands on transparency will be best placed to attract these capital flows. From Crystal clear: Creating hyper-transparent property markets - JLL Real Views xxx